Ph: 518-475-6875 FAX: 518-475-6877
Interim Principal: Mr. Gerard Gretzinger
School Year 2012-2013
Our School : TOAST
* Science and Technology Magnet School
* Lottery-based admission
* Committed to Excellence
* High expectations for all students
* Child-centered faculty and staff
* Science and Computer Labs with certified teachers
* Museum Educator
* TOAST Museum Program
* Geological Rock Park; Outdoor Learning Center
* Library Media Center
* Reading is Fundamental Program (RIF)
* After school enrichment programs and activities
* Exemplary vocal and instrumental programs
* Supportive programs for at risk students: Mentoring, Instructional Support Team, Academic Intervention Services, Reading Recovery, Senior Volunteers
* Writer's Workshop
* Children's Literacy Initiative
Our Students: Grades Pre K-5
Total Enrollment: 485 students
Black 60% Regular Education 422 students
Hispanic 14% Special Education 63 students
School Hours and Information:
8:00 am - 2:30 pm (Bus students dismiss at 2:15 pm, walkers at 2:30 pm)
Breakfast begins at 7:40 am
Our Mascot: Tommy Tech
School Colors: "Blue and Gold"
TOAST Motto: Cogitate Strenue: Challenge the Mind!
Awards, Honors, Distinctions
* National Blue Ribbon School Of Excellence with Honors in Technology -1997
* Pathfinder Award Winner: 2005 (NYS Business Council) Outstanding Educational Improvement
* Recognized by the NYS Education Dept as "Rapidly Improving-Gap Closing School" 2006
* Recognized as "One of America's Best Schools" REDBOOK Award Winner- Significant Improvement
Our Partners in Learning
Albany College of Pharmacy
Albany County Health Department
Albany County Sheriff's Department
Albany County VA Medical Center
Albany Fire Department
Albany Institute of History & Art
Albany Medical Center
Albany Visitors Center & Planetarium
Boys & Girls Club
Children�s Literacy Initiative
College of St. Rose
Cornell Cooperative Extension
Emma Treadwell Thatcher Science Center
Epilepsy Foundation of North Eastern New York
Mohawk and Hudson River Humane Society
Momentive Performance Materials
New York State Museum
Pine Bush Discovery Center
Reading Is Fundamental
Regional Food Bank of NENY/Capital City Rescue Mission
Ronald McDonald House
St. Peter�s Dental Clinic
What Makes TOAST Special?
The Thomas O'Brien Academy of Science and Technology (TOAST) is a model elementary Science and Technology Magnet School for students in Grades Pre-K through Grade 5. Our school has a culturally diverse student population and attracts students from all sections of our city. Admission to TOAST is by lottery through a magnet application process. The TOAST school community is committed to EXCELLENCE and has high expectations for academic achievement for ALL students.
Located in downtown Albany, TOAST has earned statewide and national recognition as an innovative leader in education reform. This award winning school is truly an urban success story. Plaques representing the many awards and recognitions that have been bestowed upon TOAST for more than a decade are proudly displayed on the school's "Wall of Fame." Included is the prestigious honor of being recognized as a "National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence with Special Honors in Technology", the highest award that any school can achieve, by the U.S. Department of Education. TOAST is the only school in the City School District of Albany to have been recognized with this distinction.
TOAST students are involved in learning strategies that reflect an integrated theme based curriculum that reflect and reinforce the approaches that drive the development of science and technology: curiosity, discovery, observation, problem solving, inquiry and creativity. Hands-on learning facilitated by highly qualified, talented, child centered faculty and staff create a unique and exciting learning environment for our students.
The TOAST School Family recognizes the importance of working with our students, parents, families and the greater community in a partnership to ensure that our children will acquire the necessary skills, knowledge and attitudes required to effective and successful in our future work force in the Tech Valley initiative and our global economy of the 21st Century in our ever-changing world.
What Kinds Of Parent Support Does TOAST Have?
* Full Time Home School Coordinator
* Social Worker Assistance
* Affiliation with many community agencies
* Effective communication through notices, weekly reports, monthly newsletters, school website, meetings and school events
* Open School Policy
* Opportunities for parent volunteers in classrooms and on various school committees
How is TOAST preparing our students for Educational Success?
* Curriculum is based upon the New York State Learning Standards with engaging, interactive, culturally relevant instructional activities that are enhanced by state of the art technology.
* TOAST faculty and staff are committed to having ALL students meet or exceed the Annual Yearly Progress targets for our school based on the requirements of the New York State Assessments and the federal requirements of the No Child Left Behind Legislation.
* Ongoing communication with parents regarding student progress including positive accomplishments, and areas that need to be improved.
* There is ongoing review of student assessment results to inform and modify instruction to meet the individual needs of the students to ensure high standards of learning and development.